Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Week 2 Day Two Sep 1st: What is Your Pet Peeve

It was Pet Peeve Day for the Palmetto Writers. What a wonderful way to do a description assignment.


Groups brainstormed a list of pet peeves. We shared them....lots of them. Then, the writers picked one pet peeve on the list and free wrote for 5 minutes. After that, they structured their free writing piece and submitted to the discussion forum.

Here is a sample of the writing. Kudos to Sean Corneby for his draft.

                             (taken from Devin Laney's Photostream
                                    at http://www.flickr.com/photos/devenlaney/)

Sean Corneby's Children on Leashes Draft

Have you ever walked into a mall hoping to have a tremendous day of shopping? Well I know I have. In fact let it also be said that I have had my "tremendous day" turned upside down by witnessing a shocking and unconventional way of parenting. If you ever walk into an outlet, mall, or heck even down the street, you may find one of the most unusual things:  parents (mothers most of the time) have their children attached to a leash in front of them. 

Whether the leash is monkey-themed, or teddy bear-themed, it is a leash nontheless. Are you out of your deranged mind putting a child, a baby human being, not an animal and not an alien on a leash? If you cannot control your child, I'd suggest counseling or seeking parental advice please and thank you. 

Children should never be put on  leashes whether they enjoy how it lunges them backwards if they run out too far. It is not humane and should be frowned upon as I frown upon it everytime I see this. I have actually stared at a mother once or twice before shaking my head and using my lips as I whisper, “What the hell” as I continue walking. I do this hoping that she will read my lips and realize, “Wait what am I actually doing to my child?! 

Maybe if I showed them a picture of a canine dog vs. an adorable baby they will get the picture and understand they have a child and not a pet. Leashes are not for children and if the parents have one, I suggest they find the nearest trash bin to throw it away. 


If you want to submit your pet peeve (or complaint) piece, the New York Times has a complaint box. Go to 

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/category/complaint-box/ 

Here are the instructions for submitting your own work. Beware of serious competition from my Palmetto Writers who are going to rework their piece and submit it to the N.Y. Times Complaint Box. 

If you wish to submit a Complaint Box essay, please send it as an attachment and in the body of the e-mail to complaintbox@nytimes.com, along with your name, address, phone number and e-mail. In the subject line of the e-mail, type your last name, followed by “Complaint Box” and the subject of your complaint. Essays can be 100 to 500 words. Because we receive so many submissions, we can get back only to those whose complaints are being considered for publication. If you do not hear from us, thank you anyway, and feel free to submit it elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment